1.3 cup plain flour (200g)
1 tbsp sugar
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup milk (250ml)
1/4 cup sour cream, optional (60ml approx)
1/2 stick butter, melted
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Mix together the dry ingredients: flour, sugar, baking powder and salt in a large bowl.
- Beat the egg with the milk in a separate bowl (and sour cream).
- Create a well in the dry ingredients and pour the milk mixture; whisking to create a thick smooth batter.
- Beat in the melted butter and vanilla extract.
- Spray cooking oil in a large non-stick frying pan. Using a ladle drop the batter in the pan over a medium heat.
- Cook for about 2minutes or until bubbles form on the surface.
- If you’re feeling brave, flip the pancake and cook a further 2 minutes for the perfect golden colour. There is no shame in using a spatula to do this.
- Drizzle with golden/maple syrup.
My go-to American style pancakes
Fold in a cup of blueberries and 1/2tsp lemon zest in the mixture before hitting the pan.